Friday, November 19, 2010

Remembering why I became a foster mum

Today My 9yo Foster Son M won a Sydney wide award for excellence in education. I am just so darn proud of him. He’s had a shocking year with abuse, neglect, DOCs removing him from his parents, being separated from 4 of his sisters, his nan taking him then giving up 2 days later, a horrid abusive foster parent, 4 schools in 4 months and hospital treatments for IBS. M moved in with DH and I in May and was terribly depressed and antisocial, but he’s a tough kiddo and  with lots of love and encouragement got back up on his feet and made friends and caught up with all the school he missed. Now he is doing brilliantly with friends over 3 times a week and high marks in school.

The award was re-presented to him in front of the whole school this afternoon and the look on his face just melted my heart and I soon became the teary mum in the back.

He’s now beaming with his big golden award, aboriginal artwork and dymocks voucher showing off to anyone who will listen (included the woollies check-out chick). Bless him!

It’s days like today that make it all worthwhile.


1 comment:

  1. This put the biggest smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Well done to your little man for his award - what a terrible time he has been through and it is great that you and yopur husband and bringing him through and helping him to greatness!!!

    ReplyDelete